Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm Addicted, What Can I Say?

I felt quite ashamed that I've lived in Hawaii for nearly 6 years and I've never once learned to surf. Intimidation? Feeling of inadequecy? Yea, maybe a little bit. I'm quite the body surfer and boogie boarding though. It would be nice to get Nancy out there, but she's not really a strong swimmer, so it's okay I guess.

I first tried about a year ago to surf when my cousins from Germany were here visiting and staying in a beach house in Kailua. I met some local surfers in the water and I just said, "Hey bro, I heard it's pretty hard surfin'." To which he responded, "Aww cuz, you like try? I got choke boards, I go get 'em" He was the coolest dude. I thought it was nice that a total stranger that I never met could be so generous to such a rookie. To those of you who don't know, surfers can be a bit crazy in a sense and are pretty protective of their boards. As they should be. Well, I seriously almost killed myself. I can't even count the numerous times I was pounded in the waves and ate the sand. I got busted up and my side got rubbed raw and started bleeding from all of the wax. It sucked. I could have been fish food. I ended this surf session never standing once.

Now, a little more than one year later, needless to say, surfing has become my latest addiction. Is there rehabilitation meetings for these sort of things? I should probably go. I suck royally, but it's pretty sweet riding on some waves. I've only surfed a few times with some buddies of mine bright and early during feeding time for the local sharks at 530am. First time I went, it was low tide and let's just say I took A LOT FOR THE TEAM! I got so cut up on the reef. It didn't feel too good. I was totally exhausted in like 1 1/2 hours. My last adventure....I rolled with an 11 foot board, cause that's what I do. I cut through the water like Moses on that thing. I felt like I was on yacht-I totally could have had a BBQ it was so huge. I still sucked at standing up, but I got to catch a few waves, while on the other hand, the rest of the guys rode like every single one as I watched in total jealousy. It was a great day to surf. Not once did I hit a reef and I'm gargantuan in the water so I felt good. But, my buddy Troy nearly took my face off with his board when I got slammed by some white wash. Had I not blocked his board with mine, my face would've gotten blasted. His board barely nicked mine but I got two cuts on my hand from trying to block it. Once I saw blood, that was a wrap for me. I didn't wanna be fish food. Plus, in just a small area where we were surfing came a whole bunch of inexperienced tourists who just didn't know what they were doing so I felt nervous being out there.

So, every chance I get, I try and go. I got a nice support system of buddies who help me learn and being the competitive guy I am, they help me stay confident in getting better. I don't know where we'll end up after I graduate, but leaving paradise and the waves isn't the best of feelings. Not just myself, but Nancy too, have made some wonderful friends. I've grown quite attached to this place. Yea, I know right, tear. However, It's seriously gonna be great next semester because all my classes are late in the afternoon. I usually play basketball bright and early at 5am, but I think I'll be surfin' instead. I'm looking forward to my next surf session.....tomorrow!

5 comments:

Julie S said...

Michael,
Thanks for your comment on our blog. You and your family seem to be doing well. Your Grandpa Daniels must be smiling with pride as he watches over you and Steve. Megan has been to Hawaii twice and loves it there!

Julie Steinberg

Anonymous said...

Hey Nancy, this is Ashley Brown. I feel so bad because we never payed you for doing our taxes and now I have a favor to ask. I got selected by BYU-H for verification of my FAFSA, and now they are asking my to send a copy of my taxes signed by both Josh and me. However, I did not know I was going to need that paperwork so I didnt bring it with me and I am on the mainland for the summer. So I was wondering if you happen to have an elcectronic copy or extra paper copy I could use. I tried to get ahold of a friend to get the paperwork from our apartment but haven't heard back from her yet. If you do have somehting that would be great, but if not dont worry about it becuase I'm sure you are busy enough. Thanks again, and we will definitely have to get together once we get back!
my email is: ashleyd_04@msn.com

A.K.A. - Adam, Kasey, Ady said...

Hey Mike, I totally hear you. I just started surfing myself. I hadn't been out in like a month and then a couple of weekends ago Kasey and I were at Waikiki and I just had to go surf. I was totally lovin life and then this asian dude who had no idea what he was doing dropped in on me and we both wiped out. I am trying to get Kasey to let me buy a board so I can go more often.
Adam

Kristi said...

yeah, you have a blog, Paul gave me your address. Can't wait to keep up with you guys. email so I have your addresses and can give you access.

kristibrewer18[at]gmail[dot]com

Kristi said...

hey I need your email address so I can give you access to my blog. kristibrewer18[at]gmail[dot]com